Applications for 2023 foals to be registered with LETROT via STAGBI MUST BE SUBMITTED to STAGBI by the 1 SEPTEMBER
If you are breeding a French Trotter, then please take some time to read the following. It will assist you with the registration of your Trotteur Francais foal. If you are unsure, then please call the STAGBI office.
Following the signing of the STAGBI / LETROT Agreement in 2016, STAGBI is permitted to act as a Daughter Stud Book for LETROT in the UK. This means that if you have bred a French Trotter in the UK, then it can be registered with STAGBI. The horse will be registered following the approval of Letrot and will have a Letrot registration number. However, the process of registration is slightly different to the usual registration of Standardbreds in the UK with STAGBI.
Letrot have a system whereby the mares & stallions need to be approved for breeding and their progeny to be registered as a French Trotter with Letrot.
- As the mare owner, it is your responsibility to ascertain that YOUR MARE and the CHOSEN STALLION are both approved for breeding with Letrot and that the progeny is eligible to be Letrot Registered. If you are unsure, you should contact LeTrot or TrotBritain for assistance. Foals who do not meet this criteria (but fulfil the usual STAGBI registration criteria), may still be registered with STAGBI but they will be registered as a Standardbred Trotter and not eligible to be registered with LeTrot.
- Whilst Letrot permit the registration of a foal conceived by AI using fresh semen in France, they do not permit the registration of a foal conceived by AI using chilled or frozen semen in the UK. This means that you are breeding your mare in the UK she will have to be covered naturally.
- Matings must be recorded and an application for a mating certificate made before 31st December in the year of covering.
- Once the foal is born, contact STGABI for a registration pack. Application for registrations to be registered with LETROT MUST BE MADE by the 1st SEPTEMBER in the YEAR OF BIRTH
- You should return the completed application for registration to STAGBI by the 1st September of the year of birth. Ensure that you have submitted a chosen name that starts with the nominated letter for that year (The letter changes every year and follows the alphabet (e.g. the names of all foals born in 2022 registered with STAGBI/Letrot must start with the letter M, foals born in 2023 will start with the letter N and for 2024 the letter O etc).
- The names will be approved by Letrot, and a registration number will be issued by Letrot once STAGBI has received the Parental Verification by DNA.
- Once Letrot have confirmed the registration with STAGBI, STAGBI will produce the passport as per all registrations.