All stallions for stud MUST BE registered and have a stallion Licence before their progeny can be registered as full bred Standardbreds. STAGBI will NOT consider the retrospective registration and issuing of a Stallion Licence. Retrospective applications will not be issued to coverings prior to the season a Stallion Licence was issued.
To be eligible for a Stallion Licence, stallion must fulfil criteria specified in J1 below. If a Stallion Licence is granted, then Stallion will be Graded as per criteria in J7 below.
Contact STAGBI for Application for Stallion Licence or Download on line
To be eligible for a Stallion Licence, stallion must fulfill criteria specificed in J1 below
Return completed application form to STAGBI with DNA Sample and Appropriate Fees
Please complete form and return to:
STAGBI, Room 2, Creuddyn, Pontfaen Rd, Lampeter SA48 7BN
01570 429361 / 07581 438805
REGISTRATION OF STALLION FOR STUD DUTIES
J1 An application to register a stallion for stud duties will only be considered by STAGBI if the following criteria are fulfilled:
- The horse must be registered as a Full Bred Standardbred with STAGBI
- The horse must have a DNA profile on record and be parentally verified by DNA analysis to his sire and dam.
- The horse must be 3 (three) years of age or older.
- The horse must have a performance record with a recognised organisation* OR his sire must hold a record of 1.55.0 or faster in North America/Southern Hemisphere or 2.00 or in UK/Ireland.
- * Trotting Stallions: From May 2020 , given that currently there are no non-Trotteur Francais trotting races in GB, there is no opportunity for a non Trotteur Francais trotting stallion to achieve a performance record. Therefore, STAGBI has agreed that an official time achieved in a Time Trial (TT) of 2.06 mins (or faster) on a ‘Hard track’ or 2.10 mins (or faster) on a grass track. Horses will also require a negative test result for any prohibited substance as per BHRC Rules (to be paid by the owner). The availability of using a time attained in a TT will be reviewed by STAGBI should the need arise.
J2 The registration of a stallion for stud duties and the issuing of a Stallion Licence, is subject to the approval of STAGBI.
J3 An application to register a stallion for stud duties should be submitted to STAGBI prior to the stallion being used for stud duties.
J4 Horse owner is required to obtain an Application to Register a Stallion for Stud Duties pack from STAGBI. It Is required that all parts of the application be completed In full.
PART A: Application to register Stallion for Stud Duties: To be completed by stallion owner. Owner must Indicate if the Stallion is to be used for natural cover and/or collection of semen for the purpose of Artificial Insemination (Chilled or Frozen)*. In the case of Joint ownership, all persons must sign and all persons must be current members of STAGBI.
NB: * For semen Intended for the purpose of Artificial Insemination (Chilled or Frozen) see Section K of STAGBI Rules & Regulations
PART B: Equine Identification: Silhouette and written mark up to be completed, signed and stamped by the Veterinary Surgeon (Using Wetherby’s Guidelines). NB Where possible a minimum of 5 markings should be recorded and all white markings to be completed in red.
PART C: Microchip, DNA & Health Declaration Form. To be completed, signed & stamped by the Veterinary Surgeon.
J5 Completed forms should be returned to STAGBI and must be accompanied by Hair Samples for DNA analysis and appropriate fees (contact STAGBI or check website for current fees).
J6 If the application to register a stallion for stud duties is successful and a Stallion Licence is issued, the Stallion will be included on STAGBI’s List of Licenced Stallions.
J7 Once a stallion licence has been granted, the Stallion will be graded according to STAGBI’s Stallion Grading Criteria.
GRADE A STALLION: Will have an official record of 1:55.0 or faster (North America / Southern Hemisphere) or 2:00.0 or faster (UK/Ireland) AND progeny who have won a race.
GRADE B STALLION: Will have an official record of 1:55.0 or faster (North America / Southern Hemisphere) or 2:00.0 or faster (UK/Ireland) OR progeny who have won a race.
GRADE C STALLION: Will have no official record of 1:55.0 or faster (North America / Southern Hemisphere) or 2:00.0 or faster (UK/Ireland) OR no progeny who have won a race.
J8 The Grading of Stallions will be reviewed annually and therefore a Stallion may be upgraded If the criteria is fulfilled or at the discretion of the Directors of STAGBI during the course of time.
J9 STAGBI, if required may at any time subsequently suspended or revoke the Stallion Licence.
J10 If stallion semen is to be used for the purpose of Artificial Insemination see Section K of STAGBI Rules & Regulations.
J11 It is the responsibility of stallion owner to apply for mating certificates, see Section L of STAGBI Rules & Regulations.
J12 In accordance with World Trotting Association (May 2019) the registration of a foal born out of a mare or by a stallion who has been subjected to gene manipulation shall not permitted.